Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sunny 16 rule

I started taking pictures in the digital era so I never heard of the Sunny 16 rule. I probably never heard of it because I never took any type of class or workshop in photography.
It's the big advantage and the disadvantage of learning by yourself, you always skip to the part you really want to learn about!
I finally got the courage to go out and shoot 35mm but unfortunately I must have forgotten the light meter switch on and killed the battery I purchased for the Spotmatic.
So I said to myself "use your gut feeling, that should be enough" the result was 36 pictures with overexposure.
If I had known about the Sunny 16 rule this never would have happened...stay in school kids :)
It was a bit cloudy and I tend to underexpose all my pictures, not only when I use manual lenses but even with the modern electronic gear I've got, so my gut feeling was to let more light in than usual. 
They were not that bad and it even added an extra vintage look to them but it was not deliberate so it feels kind of cheating XD

I'll try to keep uploading photos on my 35mm set when I have some spare time for it and I bought a new battery and film, so I hope I'll get it right next time.
And, for all you purist out there, I edited them so they didn't look so bad...haters gonna hate...

No comments:

Post a Comment