Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cuba - Before I had a DSLR

This weekend I was visiting relatives and when I entered the living room Compay Segundo was playing on the stereo...it brought back some good memories!

Cuba is one of the most interesting places in the planet and I consider myself lucky enough to have visited it.
It's a very long trip from this side of the globe to Cuba, but it was worth it. I'd never took a plane trip for so long and had never seen islands like that from the sky, the Caribbeans are a mysterious and wonderful place.

I didn't take much thought about photography at that time of my life and in Cuba it was one the first times I thought about it. This was mainly because of two reasons: for the first time I felt unsatisfied with the pictures I took with my point and shoot camera. It was such a wonderful place and I just couldn't capture it in all it's color and life, the second reason was that I stumbled,  in a souvenir shop with this book, and bought it:
"The magic of Che passed through here!" - Jean Cornier

This book was inspiring indeed, it has wonderful pictures by many photographer:
René Burri (Magnum Photos), 
Chinolope, 
Alberto Figueroa, 
Alberto Korda (who took the famous Guerrillero Heroico ), 
Liborio Noval, 
Roger Pic, 
Perfecto Romero, 
Osvaldo et Roberto Salas

I had read that Che was an enthusiast of photography but it was only when I opened the book that I realized that Che was really in to it, he appears in so many pictures holding several different cameras and lenses.

" 'I was a photographer before I was a Comandante,’ he once declared, and when asked the question after the triumph of the Cuban Revolution, ‘Are you a revolutionary or a photographer?’ he answered, not surprisingly, ‘I am a revolutionary photographer’. "
in

You can check out the picture in the set Cuba on my flickr account.
How I wish I could go back there again with a decent camera and take nice pictures this time!

Cuba is like a picture taken in the 50's
It's frozen in time...

No comments:

Post a Comment